Another 100 Years of Service in the Fox Cities
Read the Official History here - The First 100 Years of the Appleton Salvation Army
April 1917 ~ the start in Appleton of the Salvation Army ~ Captain Griselda "Della" Rapson (5th from right)
'marches" in along with Cpt Lily Paul and Lieut. Sletten
As Appleton's citizen soldiers march off to the Great War.
Capt. Della Rapson soon followed to Europe to become one of the
"Doughnut Lassies" help our troops on the front in France.
A scene from 1935 at Morrison and North Street ~ Salvation Army in the former Busey Business School building. This photo was used to promote a "Home League Rally" to take place on Friday, May 24, 1935. The purpose of the Home League was "to combat the growing tendency to neglect the fostering of true home-life and to encourage thrift and hygiene." From 1931 - 1961 the Army's work was carried out at this building.
Salvation Army musical group in Appleton - great accordians !
1950's College Avenue in Appleton - Kettle Hut with Judson L. Simpson, Senior Soldier Salvationaist with the Appleton Corps ringing the bell. "Jud" was a faithful bell ringer for 60 years and did a tavern route for 55 years selling the "War Cry" magazine often collecting up to $10,000 a year. A volunteer since age 9 "Jud" logged an amazing 30,000 hours of volunteer time.
Building demolition to make way for new construction
Oscar Boldt Company building new Salvation Army corps in Appleton
At the corner of North Morrison and East North Street Appleton, WI
Social Services Center - 130 East North Street - Appleton, WI
"Project Home" Transitional Housing ~ 105 S. Badger Avenue Appleton, WI
Worship & Community Center - 1525 Appleton Rd. Menasha, WI